Thursday, July 8, 2010

Random Quote Generator

If I'm out on a long ride or run, after I've thought all of the thoughts I've had to think through, my mind attaches itself to a mantra or phrase that I end up saying/singing/silently shouting to myself for the remainder of the workout.

Motivational words are very personal. When I see certain words, I'm affected. Someone else looking at the same words or phrases would not be. And visa versa. Motivation tends to be loaded with the baggage we bring to it.

Nevertheless, I've come across a bunch of quote lately that piqued my interest. And so I will share them with you. Some of these comes from my time with Team. Others I stumbled across on the internet. And some are from years back; their origins are lost on me, yet they are still inspiring. Enjoy.


"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher." -Thomas Huxley

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired you quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." -Walter Elliot

“Courage is being afraid but going on anyhow.” Dan Rather

“It's not what they take away from you that counts: it’s what you do with what you have left” Hubert Humphrey

"Know how sublime a thing it is to suffer and be strong." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"Winning is not about headlines and hardware. It’s only about attitude. A winner is a person who goes out today and every day and attempts to be the best runner and best person he can be… Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up." -Amby Burfoot

"You are in a relationship with running. A love-hate relationship. Running kicks you out of bed and into a cold, hard world. Running calls you at all hours of the night. Running gets you up at the crack of dawn and keeps you at practice long after play has left the building. Every day with running is a question of your commitment, and running’s not afraid to ask. Yes, my friend, it is a complex and torrid affair. It is a constant balance, a balance between joy and pain. Work and play. A balance between love and hate. Everything we do is geared toward tipping the balance." - Some Shoe Commercial ... whose brand I don't recall.

No comments: