Friday, January 25, 2008

Back to Basics

There is something very comforting about being one week out of a marathon. You spent the previous week working hard, eating right and focusing on the 26.2-mile task at hand. There is focus, determination and performance.

Being two weeks out of a marathon...well, that just puts you back to square one. In most cases, this is the farthest point you will be from the next race. There is no runner's high. There is very little glow left from your last race. In a sense, you are in a no man's land. Trying to balance recovery and sanity is not an easy thing.

Marathon week I logged 60 miles between the walking around Disney and the race. Post-Disney, I took 3 days off from running, then decided it was time to get back on the pavement. There is a rule of thumb that you need about 2 weeks to recover. Thankfully, I am young and spry and happy to hit the trails with minimal rest. This will change as I get old(er), but for now, I am happy and healthy to get running within 72 hours of race day.

Last weekend, over the 3-day holiday, I logged a short 6.5-er and then a 9 mile run to work. This weekend, after a short 30 minute workout Tuesday at 6am and a sprint workout this evening, I will try and chase another 15 miles down to average a 30 miles/week schedule. For a recreational runner, 30/wk is a nice place to be at.

Work is hectic, so running is my second priority. If I can get 12 miles in during the week, I can complete the other 18 over the weekend. Thankfully the vacation on Monday this week (Even though I went to work for 3 hours --- ran there an back to log my 9 miles) threw me a bone.

So here I am, the farthest I will be from the Goofy Challenge, from the Anchorage full, the Santa Barbara half and now, the newly added Disneyland Half (with my friend Amie!). It is a bummer of a place to be. So far from reaping my reward. But step by step, mile by mile and hour by hour I will get myself there. Until those days....it is "cup cup cup"* each week.


*The reference is from In These Girls Hope Is a Muscle, a wonderful book about high school basketball. Read it for motivation.

No comments: