Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Open Roads

I have taken a long holiday from Los Angeles and traveled back to Connecticut to visit my parents. The downtime have given me the opportunity to run and swim at my leisure along the roads and in the lake where I grew up.

When I grew up here in the 1980s and 1990s, the town consisted of 4,000 people and one stop light. Today, it's about 6,000 people and three stoplights - the two recent additions were not here last Decemeber.

A quiet, country town with its open spaces and leafy canopies - this is my gym for the week. I went on a recovery run with my phone and took some pictures along the route. My phone's camera could not capture the picturesque landscape as it were in reality, so these little pixels are all I have to share. Here it is: rural Connecticut.

The lake in our backyard- great for an open water swim



The Shady Running Route



The opposite side of the lake



Blish Park - the site of childhood sandcastle contests



The Marlborough Barn - the town's most famous landmark



Saddler's Pond and Local Store - New England at its quaintest



From the porch, looking up


"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." William Shakespeare

1 comment:

zbsports said...

This is a great place to run with, hope I can run in there someday. The air and the place looks amazing.