Thursday, December 30, 2010

10 Miles in Connecticut

The most serious charge which can be brought against New England is not Puritanism but February.
- Joseph Wood Krutch

I planned on a four-day vacation in CT to see my family, but the #snOMG storm of 2010 cut my trip short by a day. It wasn't the February grey I remember growing up under, but a couple days of chilly weather renewed my appreciation for Los Angeles.

Home



Thankfully, my mom and I planned to do her final long run for the Walt Disney World Half Marathon on Friday. We ran 10 miles around a nearby town that, according to my mom, is much flatter than where we live because it is in the CT River Valley.

I brought my blackberry along the two-hour run so that I could capture New England in the frigid (read: 30 degree) weather. Below are some of the shots I captured.

Half of our run took place at a new community trail along the CT River



The trail along the river and into the woods was mostly gravel - good for the knees



Where I grew up, this part of New England, is very quaint and congregational



Nature, up close









The Connecticut River









Open Spaces









We headed into a more populated area for a couple of miles before returning to the trail









We returned back to the car, conveniently parked at Panera. Bagels and coffee before heading home


Next weekend, my mom will run her second half-marathon. She started running about 6 years ago, and completed her first one, also at WDW, in 2008. After the half, and after I complete the full (more later on how I will be walking the full with my good friend, Chris), we will vacation at Disney for another couple of days. The perfect week!

No comments: