Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Consequences of Frequently Running Long Distances

...Laundry! I have a lot of laundry to do. I'm usually a once-a-week launderer, but working out 6 days a week in cold weather has left me a pile of sweaty long-sleeved shirts and pants.

...Food! I've run six 9-mile morning runs in the past two weeks, and I'm noticably hungrier. I've always had an appetite, but now I'm in some sort of survival mode. Last night I had a meeting across town after work (in LA, that means an hour away with traffic). I arrived a couple minutes early, and I immediately scoured the area for something to eat. Luckily the ubiquitous Subway chain had staked claim to one strip mall. Crisis averted with a veggie grinder.

...Sleep! The meeting went until 9pm. Lately, I've been getting into bed around 8:30pm, so this was past my bedtime. I got home at 10 and was out by 10:20. Tonight is a similiarly tight schedule. Holiday party with our production crew after work. Hopefully I can get in a hour of socializing before getting home and to sleep before 9:30pm.

...Rest! Today is my first real rest day in two weeks. I have been cross training once a week, and running various distances the other days. Today I've enstated a moratorium on physical activity. The legs will appreciate it, I think. Waking up this morning and not putting on workout clothes was a little weird, but pleasent. And now, it's time for work.

No comments: