Friday, December 12, 2008

That Remains the Party Line

Just finished up both BL Workout DVDs for today's cross training. The workouts are about 80 minutes, so its comparable to a 9 mile run. Popped right out of bed at 5:30 this morning. The early hours no longer tax me. Good thing, too, because I've got to be over in Venice Beach tomorrow morning at 6am to work a race for Team in Training.

And now more related to the title of this post. This week and next week are filled with a couple different gatherings and parties I'm attending. A TNT leadership meeting and a crew holiday party occupied two nights this week. This weekend is a going away dinner for a friend, and next week has two nights of dinners with friends/film people and another going away dinner for the same friend (different social circle).

For me, that's a lot of a gathering in two weeks. I enjoy the get-togethers, but they can be tiring after a while. Additionally, I am not drinking an alcohol (with maybe the exception of Christmas Day, New Years Eve and the day after the Goofy Challenge) until my ultramarathon is over.

I'm not a big drinker in the first place. Maybe a glass of wine here and there. Maybe half a beer when I go out to drinks with a coworker or friend. But those times are few and far between. So it's not much of a sacrifice. That said, holiday parties and the like center around alcohol (at least, the ones I attend do...what can I say, I have fun friends). But I am committing to drinking normal liquids (water, coffee, tea and such) free of any alcohol because I want to be at my best while training for this crazy race.

The exceptions to the rule are made with the certainty that I will only have a glass of wine or two at each. No more. And they are supplements to a celebration, not a way of getting through the evening.

I made it through this week's parties without even the temptation to grab a beer. Next week I plan to do the same. I consider this the mental and willpower side of my training - outside of the physical conditioning. Training well, training properly, is key to a successful race. And I need all of the perfection and clear-headedness I can get for the 50 miles ahead of me!

No comments: