Friday, April 24, 2009

Learning to Love Not Running

Not really. There is nothing to love about not running for me. I like it. It's fun. It's relaxing. But when you throw in an injured right leg, the activity becomes a painful chore. One that I have limited to 1-2 times a week

My crosstraining has been all right.
Monday - Swimming
Tuesday - Running
Wednesday - Aquajog and stationary bike
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Outdoor cycling

My plans for Saturday include many biking miles and some swimming. Sunday will be 17 miles with the Team in Training folks, but I need to take it easy.

Monday I'll be in the doctor's office figuring out what the heck is wrong with my leg. I've got a pain on the medial side of my shin/calf where the bone meets the muscles and tendons. I don't believe it's a stress fracture because the pain is vertical not horizontal. So that leaves either shin splints (Medial Tibial Syndrome) or Compartment Syndrome. I'm hoping for the less serious former diagnosis.

But I'm not sure what else they can do for me. I have been icing, resting for multiple days (rest = not running) at a time, using Kinesio tape and taking Ibprophen. Maybe they can crank up the painkillers. If its a tendon problem, PT isn't going to make a huge different I don't think. It's sort of an area of the leg you can't stretch or strengthen. You can stregthen the muscles around it, but I swear my leg muscles are huge enough, thanks.

So that's that. We'll see how it goes...

No comments: