Wednesday, January 9, 2013

42.4 Things To Think About

So there's going to be a lot of "time on my feet" on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. That means lots of time spent between my ears. Disney does a wonderful job with course support and entertainment. Not only do the races run through the parks...

Family 5K


Half Course


Full Course

...but the course is also lined with spectators, dancers, musicians, and many of the costumed characters. It's a hyper-visual race.

I'll be run-walking the 5K with my mom, so that's an easy 3.1 miles I don't have to worry about. I'll also be running the half with my friend Robert. He's quite a speedster, and I was happy he slowed down and ran the half together last year.

6:00am, Magic Kingdom

So, yes, there is plenty distraction by way of the course and the company. And yet, staring down the barrel of 6+ hours of run time, I figure there are going to be some blank miles I'll just have to mentally muscle through. Instead of risking getting a single line of a song stuck in my head - Holly's Rhianna line "Shine bright like a chicken" is threatening to be that earworm - it's best a get prepared.

So, a thought or phrase or song to focus on for every mile. Packing this post in my fuel belt just in case.

    1. Mom's first race in two years. Wheee! Off we go!

    2. What is the best race I've ever run? Desert Dash Nighttime Half, possibly. Maybe Anchorage. Definitely not Rock n' Roll Arizona. Discuss with Mom for a mile.

    3. It's 4:00am in Los Angeles. So starts a surreal, clock-less weekend. Jet lag is like the 43rd mile.

    4. First mile of the half marathon, don't leave it all out here. Keep the pace / Keep the peace.

    5. Citius, altius, fortius...swifter, higher, stronger. -Olympic Motto

    6. Should start planning an adventure for 2014. Race or no race? In country or out of country?

    7. This. Girl. Is On. Fireeeeeeeee!

    8. Try not to trip and pop a finger joint this race. No stupid steps like that allowed today or tomorrow.

    9. "Titanium" - Sia/David Guetta

    10. Bummed to miss Man v. Bar this week. But probably a good thing for my tummy. And anyone who watches me dance.

    11. "It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired you quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

    12. Let's discuss, alone in my head, the concept of masochism. Let's also note I've slipped into third-person.

    13. Ironteam is at practice soon. Hope they have fun at Griffith Park. I will miss them, and the team brunch. Been a while since I stole eggs and bacon and coffee from Jason. And Rob. And EWS. And Clare. Pretty much everyone.

    14. “Organizations exist only for one purpose: to help people reach ends together that they couldn’t achieve individually.” Robert H. Waterman. I might be running alone. But I'm not really alone.

    15. Run hard these last miles. Turn off your brain and go.

    16. "Feel Again" - One Republic

    17. Better TV show - Friends or How I Met Your Mother?

    18. Pause for a moment. Channel the sax from Thrift Shop. Do a little dance. Start running again.

    19. Jones, Wilnos, Jomskys, Riveras, Cilellas. Thank you for everything you've done for me between Goofy #1 and Goofy #4.

    20. "Carry On" - Fun

    21. Mile 5 of the full marathon - half way through the weekend mileage.

    22. Tweet Fern!!! She's watching and cheering from CO!

    23. Pictures don't take themselves. Stop running, snap a picture. Tweet it.

    24. The flight to China is going to be 18 hours. How the heck am I going to entertain myself? Watch all the movies...ever made?

    25. "Anna Sun" - Walk the Moon

    26. I am fearing my inbox when I get back to work.

    27. Note to self: Need a sports massage back in LA. Stat.

    28. Please, no more sports drinks.

    29. Stay #champstrong. Final stretch.

    30. “You can quit if you want, and no one will care. But you will know the rest of your life." – John Collins

    31. The last time I ran +40 miles in a day was October 28, 2010 coaching the LA RnR Half Marathon and an afternoon TNT practice of 18 miles. This is nothing compared.

    32. Take the promotion at work, or stay in the same position and take advantage of the time allowance to focus on coaching? This debate could last a few miles.

    33. High five the next ten children I see cheering. They might be future marathoners.

    34. "Shine bright like a chicken" ... that was inevitable.

    35. I want a cheeseburger. Now. Not later. Now.

    36. Pain is weakness leaving the body.

    37. What's my favorite salad? It used to be Caesar, but lately Cobb has been giving it a run for its money.

    38. Don't get caught up in the fatigue. Smile and laugh. Relax. Don't fear pain. Lean into the sharp feelings and let them pass.

    39."This is about doing something difficult and not stopping when it becomes not just difficult, but cold and difficult... or cold and wet and difficult... or cold and wet and dark and difficult." -Suzy Hamilton

    40. Coming up to the chocolate aid station!! Bring on the Hershey and Crackle bars.

    41. "More More Mile" - Paper Tongues

    42. #beatcancer #beatcancer #beatcancer #beatcancer

    42.4 The medals are pretty, but where's the food.


No comments: