Friday, January 4, 2013

Lightning Rounds

When training for endurance events, especially when training solo, you often must resign yourself to the fact that you will be doing a repetitive task for a long period of time. Swimming, pedaling, running. Over and over and over again for minutes and hours on end. It's psychological battle.

I recently wrote about mental training and mindfulness, which is all well and good for certain workouts. But other times, even while paying attention to a specific set of instructions - drills or pre-determined paces - my mind still wanders.

If I'm not dwelling on a problem or trying to recall some specific moment, my brain just goes into lightning round mode and random thoughts pop into my head. I started writing them down after the workouts. It's crazy to see just how many random things pop into your head ... For instance:

While swimming -
  • I wonder how many pushups I can do now. Would doing push ups underwater be easier?
  • It's not an acceptable hydration plan to drink the pool water.
  • It's not socially acceptable to drink the pool water.
  • God, I just drank a lot of pool water.
  • Keep these swim workouts up and I will have to walk sideways through doorways. I feel like a tree trunk.
  • Did I just fall asleep? I don't remember swimming that length.
While biking -
  • I think I've developed an allergy to pants. My legs itch when I wear them.
  • I don't think I'll ever get tired of being able to bike to the beach. But I really want to move closer to it. Is it worth the commute to work then?
  • Life is better with fruit snacks: Gushers, Fruit by the Foot, Fruit Roll Ups, Shark Bites, String Thing. I think FbtF is my favorite. Or String Thing.
  • I'm finding it difficult to make time for my friends who are not triathlon-ing at the moment, and that bums me out.
  • If I had to choose between cheese and sushi, I'm not sure what I would go with. Can't have both at the same meal. Or can you?
While running -
  • "Sorry for party rocking" is a good answer to almost any question.
  • I am looking forward to trampoline night. Remember to pack a water bottle.
  • It's amazing how you can listen to the same songs for years, and they can take on such new meaning. I can't believe I've been running for seven years now.
  • I have developed a slight obsession with Salted Caramel Ice Cream from Sweetrose Creamery. Make time to go back there.
  • I really have to do an Ironman this summer? That's a long distance for one day.

No comments: