Saturday, December 1, 2012

Being Happy Doesn’t Always Make Us Grateful, But Being Grateful Will Always Make Us Happy

Smile every chance you get; not because life has been easy, perfect, or exactly as you had anticipated, but because you choose to be happy and grateful for all the good things you do have and all the problems you know you don’t have. - from 101 Timless Lessons Life Teaches Us.

I had a really great breakfast conversation with my friend, Adam, last week. We were talking about the nature of our jobs in 'Hollywood' and the different types of people we encounter. We are both on the same wavelength about distancing ourselves from the steroetypical (but all too real) grimey folks that the industry attracts. What came out of this meeting was a articulated philosophy - Good people attract good people.

Of course, my mind zips to my Team in Training teams over the years. The friends I've become close to since 2007 are not just my "best friends from California" but rather "my best friends. period." Funny, too, since I met Adam through one of my close friends from the program! The wavelength extends.

Hands In

For our 4th Ironteam Saturday practice of the season, we hit up Westlake Village, northwest of Los Angeles, for a group ride. Rain made up change up our plans, and we ran instead. I prefer the run to the bike because it's easier to get to know people side by side on a run. Bike is a bit harder. And still this early into the season, I'm just scratching the surface of a lot of my new family here.

For me it was a great run - the temps were comfortable, my pace felt consistent when I was dictating it for myself, and I got to talk to so many people. I laughed. I smiled. And then at breakfast I ate off their plates.

When home and logged another 5 miles to complete a 13.1 day. 'Half marathon' distance is a round number in my head.

Go Team!

I finish the workout smiling and feeling grateful. Because it wasn't totally easy, perfect or what I had planned in my head for the day. I felt grateful for the motivation I was digging into, for my health and ability to complete it, and for the chance to spend 5 early morning hours with the Team. There are so many problems I don't have in life. In this good life.

No comments: