Friday, December 21, 2012

New Year's Resolution

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!””Jack Kerouac

I think I'd be okay if the world ended today. I feel like I'm on equal footing with the universe for the moment. No major debts owed. No dire words unspoken. Sure, there are places I haven't seen and a long list of to-do's. But all 'n all, I'm good.

But since tomorrow's going to happen ... onto setting a New Years resolution. I don't usually set one, but this goal is something I've been working on for a couple months. And after an inspiring conversation with a friend this week, I'm going to full on label it a resolution.

I'm going to invest myself more in people. Not any particular person or persons. But people in general. I've got such a great opportunity right now having 60-or-so new faces in my daily life - the triathlon team. If I'm going to coach and I'm going to care and I'm going to invest the minutes/hours/days of my life - I'm going to do so with all my heart. For me it doesn't mean being a 'rah rah' person all the time - as athletes, we all know that sometimes tough love and a biting word can send us in the right direction. But I'd be foolish not to seize the chance to do as much good as I can for my teammates.

And beyond my team, I'm trying and will continue to try to tell people how much I care and appreciate them. Sharing the gratefulness, I guess. I'm in the midst of writing my holiday emails -- my lame little version of cards -- and it's not easy to pick pointed and thoughtful words that let my friends know how important they are to me. Sometimes what I write just sounds creepy :) But I'm getting past that - I'd rather my caring be shared than go unsaid, because you never know if you'll ever get the chance to say it again. You just don't.

I'm not sure I'll be able to hit a midpoint next year and measure this goal. It's not quantifiable in miles or miles or pace. I suppose it's up to be to be the judge and jury. And I believe that 'you can always give more'. So that's what I'm going to continue to try to do - invest more, give more, care more. And grow from it all.

Okay enough promises to myself! Off to CT tonight, and will hug my parents by 10am tomorrow morning. Bundling up for what will be a CHILLY 5 days of working out. IronChamps don't take a holiday!

No comments: