Monday, December 10, 2012

Friends in Low Places

Now I'm not big on social graces,
Think I'll slip on down to the oasis,
Oh I got friends,
In low places.
-Garth Brooks
I've mentioned it time and time again ... I am not used to doing my running or tri training with a team. Having spent the last couple of years in a coaching role, I relegated my own training to my free time, which meant solo runs for marathons, and bikes and swims when IMCDA populated my schedule.

But now things are a bit different. I am a part of a team. It is weird and unfamiliar and great all at the same time. And above all that, among this team of +80 folks, there are a few others who are generous enough to share their insight into their training.

For me, it's really great to read the minds of my colleagues. Naturally, it's rare that we speak all that we are thinking. So to read the various accounts of my teammates Ironteam experience is kind of nice. If you're interested in checking out various points of view from the 2013 GLA Ironteam, I recommend you connect with these great people.

Anabel - All In - a kickass triathlete, honored teammate, #beatcancer survivor and, though I've only known her briefly, I vouch that she's an awesome person. If you need any inspiration to get out there and give your best ... follow her.

Holly- Her writing is at: And...Go! - You ever meet someone that you feel like you've already know for a long time? For me, this would be Holly. She is the Ironteam's lead swim coach, and I'm learning a lot from her. Also, she throws great parties and doesn't hate you for passing out in her spare room [Update: No hate, just laughs. All cool. Thanks H.]

Amy - I was SO happy to hear that Amy is also a CT native! She is a fellow assistant coach (bike-focus), and works at JPL. You know the time we sent the Rover to Mars? Yeah, that's pretty much her doing. Her writing is thoughtful and self-depricating, and it's very much worth your time. Take a look: here.

Solange - Though she's new to the Ironteam (like me), Solange is a TNT alum with a passion for pushing limits. I had the pleasure of biking with her about a month ago, and along the way she shared the story of her first marathon - the very challenging Catalina Eco-Marathon. If you are looking for a caution-to-the-wind athlete, check out her IronTeam experience.

Elisabeth - also know as EWS, I met Elisabeth back in the summer of '11 when she decided to join the Ironteam. Through twitter, we connected and she inherited my bike, Max. Since then, we've kept in touch, and I've followed her progress to her first Ironman event, Vineman Full '12. She's come back to IronTeam as a mentor and captain, and I'm looking forward to hearing about the progress she will make throughout the season.

Chris - Every year, Chris finds a source of motivation that fuels him through some crazy endurance events. In the past, he's run and tri'd for his immediate family. This time, he's honoring the life of another young man. Chris was my first coaching mentor, my first Ironman shepard, and an inspiration to me. Should you need a spark yourself, please connect with this guy.

These folks, among the many, many others I'm proud to call friends, are how I can trek 140.6 miles in one day. It's not just physical, it's personal.

No comments: